Free DNS provides easy shared DNS hosting & URL forwarding

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Octave files misdetected as Objective-C

As you may noticed from the previous post's screenshot, GEdit misdetects my Octave .m files as Objective-C code files (because both share the same file extension). Because I don't use Objective-C, I tried to fix this problems like this:

  1. I edited the file /usr/share/mime/packages/, commenting out the mime-type tag with type text/x-objcsrc (just search for text/x-objcsrc and you'll find it).
  2. After saving this file, I ran the following command:
    sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime/
  3. Last, I restarted GEdit.

It didn't seem to work, so I did the following thing:
sudo rm /usr/share/gtksourceview-2.0/language-specs/objc.lang.
This worked fine.


  1. Good to know, cause so many people really care about this're like...a hero for telling us this :D

  2. Stop mocking me! This is here for posterity.