Free DNS provides easy shared DNS hosting & URL forwarding

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My (almost) great deal on shoplet.com


On Friday I was googling for a present for my niece: I was looking for a laptop with small display (less than 13", because she's still small). Not necessarily something fancy, but something that would not create problems when used by a child (enough RAM and decent processing power).
While looking around I found a deal that seemed too good to be true (and so it was) on shoplet.com: a laptop Asus U20A-A1 for only $0.95. Including taxes and all, that would have been about $9. I refreshed the page a few times just to make sure I'm seeing right, then I went ahead and paid for it. The process went through without any problems, as the site created my account with my details using data from Paypal. I was hoping this is a special offer and not a mistake.
On Monday evening I got an email informing me that the item is "discontinued", my order was canceled, and I got a refund. I went on the site again and checked. It still said the item is "in stock". According to it, I could have ordered another few laptops, too :) However, the marketing person said the IT department did not update the site.
I was quite surprised to find out that such a big website does not have an automated inventory system in place. To be honest, I didn't believe it at first, but someone else from the site confirmed it to me.
Anyway, apart from my own unhappy experience, shoplet.com seems to be a nice place for IT shopping or at least browsing for information on products (since they have very detailed information on them). You can also receive a 10% coupon if you put one of their badges of your blog or site.
The thing that I liked most about their site is their green program where they offer recycled products and they keep track of the outcome of this program.

No comments:

Post a Comment